Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Yeah! I Can Hear Today

I have been working hard the last few days to get my ears to unplug. How do I do that? First of all I have to avoid eating certain foods that cause the problem. Wheat, milk, corn, sugars, salt and butter are the worst. I haven't eaten those foods except, we just returned from a half month trip and we ate at restaurants everyday, three times a day, the whole time. Restaurants over salt their food and I think this was the biggest reason I was plugged up. I was also using too much butter.

My friend Pam suggested that it might have something to do with wax in my ears. I knew this was a possibility and told her that I was going to the doctor to get that and other things checked. I went to the doctor yesterday and and did have wax in my right ear. They cleaned it out, but the bad thing was they cleaned it out by using a water pick bath. Worse thing you can do to a person with Meniere's Disease is to put water in their ear.

I could hear better as soon as the wax was gone. (I never hear well, but it was better), but within fifteen minutes I started going deaf and by last night I was so deaf I couldn't hear the TV, which happens quite often actually.

The worst thing was that my sister Sharon called and I couldn't talk to her. I could hear her faint voice on the phone, but couldn't distinguish one word she said. I had to hand the phone to Mike and have him translate. She and I can talk for hours, and this conversation lasted about five minutes.

The horrible noise in my head woke me at 4:00 this morning. It's wonderful when my ears clear, but there is a price to be paid for that. See, there is always noise in my head. It's either a buzz or can be a roar. Right now it's a buzz. It's quite amazing that you can get used to it. I just go someplace else in my head and ignore it.

So when I'm really deaf, I also can't hear the noise in my head. That's a good thing, but I still can't hear anything else so that's a bad thing. When the ear starts to clear I not only hear the normal noise, but the nerve endings have been attacked by water in this case and the noise is so loud it sounds like a fire alarm going off in a fire-house with a high pitch.

The noise kept me awake for awhile, but my brain uses it as white noise (it's anything but white) and I go back to sleep.

I awoke to the normal noise in my head, and I can hear! Not as well as you can, but at least I'm in the world again. You can't imagine how isolated you feel from the world when you can't hear! It's horrible!

Meniere's Disease is a progressive disease and it is very likely that I will completely lose my hearing some day. That will be a very sad day for me. I pray that it won't ever happen.