Sunday, October 07, 2007

"Count Your Many Blessings"

It's Sunday and I want to count some of my most precious blessings.


We have a song we like to sing at our church, maybe you sing it at yours too. It goes like this: Count your many blessings name them one by one, count your many blessings - see what God has done.

He has done so many wonderful things for me that I can't list them all here. I'll just put my top ten for now.


1- My greatest blessing is the gift of repentance and the atonement provided by our savior Jesus Christ.

2- I'm truly grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for my membership in his gospel.

3- Truly grateful for the angel mother I was blessed to have. She was the most loving and wonderful mother a person could have, and I'm grateful for the love she offered me and for the guidance wherein she directed my paths that have lead to where I am in life today.

4- Grateful for my father. Without his contribution, I wouldn't be here today.

5- I have been very blessed with a wonderful husband. Mike is my best friend. He is always there for me, and puts my comfort and needs before his own. He is truly a saint.

6- I feel very blessed to have been able to have children. I was sure this was the only reason I was put on this earth. I never wanted a career, or to be famous, I just wanted kids. I was blessed to be able to have four of my own, and then additionally blessed with six more step-children. Five of whom lived in our home on a permanent basis after Mike and I married until they moved away on their own. I love and adore all my children and found it to be true. This was the reason I was put on this earth.

7- Mike and I have been blessed with more children, our precious grandchildren and great grandchildren. We have 19 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. We are expecting our 20th. in April (Sherri and Steve) and this may come as a surprise to a reader who may know Amy and Jake, but they are expecting a little one in June.

8- I'm grateful next for my health. Anyone who reads my blog knows I struggle with a few health problems, but for the most part I am very healthy and can live a normal life, and I'm able to do most everything that other people can do. I lived a perfectly normal life doing everything I wanted to do until I was over 50 years old. Then I came down with post polio, (I had polio as a child, but it never held me back) . At the time I came down with it, I was very limited in my mobility, but now I can keep up nicely with people. Stairs are my only challenge and I walk them when needed. I even went skiing twice last winter and plan to do it again this year. Not bad for a 67 year old, if I do say so myself.
And I suffer with meniere's Syndrome. It affect my ability to hear well, and affects my over-all well being. But then I get a handle on things and I'm off and running again. Well, not running. That would be in the same category as stair climbing. But I am off and walking. Pretty fast too.

9- I'm grateful for this beautiful land we live in. The good old USA. I love America! When you think of the odds that bring us where we are today, it's quite mind-boggling. I want you to think of the odds of being born to live in this day and age - which I think is the best time to be here. Then think of the odds of being born in America, next would be the odds of moving here after you were born in another country. I have nothing against other countries. I love them. My ancestors lived in other countries, England and Ireland. I can't help but think I'm blessed to live here though. Now think about where you live in America. I happen to love where I live, in Utah and Arizona. Now think of the odds of how you happened to come to the family you came to. I know I was blessed to have the parents, brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles I have.
How about the odds of good health? I could go on and on, but if think if your think about it, we are one in millions! We must be pretty special.

10- My next blessing is my brothers and sisters whom I love and adore. I also love Mike's brothers and sisters. We are truly blessed to be surrounded by wonderful people in our lives!