Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dr. Zone

No, it's not a new movie, we're talking about my doctor. He is trying to find the reason I can't eat certain foods without having symptoms like: vertigo, asthma, diarrhea, itching, headaches, patekei, and deafness.

Patekei, spelled phonetically, since I can't spell it at the moment, and it has several different spelling anyway, is a skin problem, where the blood vessels burst, and leaves red itchy bumps on the body.

The deafness is a real problem. And has become permanent deafness. I have to wear a hearing aid, because my left ear hears 80 decibels below normal, and my right ear is 40 below. I have meiners disease, which includes ringing of the ears. Mine can be more of a roar!

Vertigo goes along with this disease. Which used to be a terrible problem. I have had it under control for years, but recently it has returned, on a moderate level. In fact, so moderate that it only lasts a few minutes now.

I saw my heart doctor two days ago as a follow-up from my hospital visit. He took another blood test yesterday to make sure my potassium levels are up. They are still low, and I have to increase the dosage.

This might be the reason I've been having vertigo. I don't think vertigo is a mystery. I think anything that is out of whack in our bodies can be enough to throw things off to create vertigo.

During my hospital stay Dr. MacKenzie (heart Dr.) said that my potassium was dangerously low.

3.5 which is the bottom of the chart. Normal should be between 3.5 and 4, but closer to 4. My level was 3.3. It took eight hours to bring it back to normal, and for my heart to quit racing.

Back to Dr. Zone. Three weeks ago he did a skin biopsy, and a $2000 blood test, and as usual, nothing showed up. As is always usual!!! This is the last of many of the tests I've now taken. I'm through looking!

As one of my other doctors said,"it doesn't matter what we call it, the fact is you can't eat these foods without experiencing problems, so you will just have to live on the diet of foods that your body wants you to eat." He's absolutely right! And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

My heart doctor said, "you will be one of these little old 90 year old ladies in your rocking chair on the front porch, saying, "well, I'm still here."

In other words, he knows I have problems, but since I live on such a good diet, I will be around much longer than most people, and without as many problems.

Dr Zone, wrote me a prescription for enzymes to digest my food. I have cystic fibrosis in my genes. All of my children have cf, and I am a carrier. Even though, I'm not considered to have cf, it still affects me. I've taken enzymes to digest my food for years, but they are not all created a like. This new enzyme is the exact enzyme that is for my specific problem.

Here's hoping that I will find help with foods. Enzymes to digest what I do eat.

A second problem with my genes is diabetes. Everyone knows that diabetics have to take insulin. What most people don't realize is that insulin is an enzyme. So if my body is lacking those enzymes also, you can see why I get into so much trouble eating foods that are high in sugar, and foods that are difficult to digest.