Sunday, January 28, 2007

To ski or not to ski - that Is the question?




My brother's family and I had our date set and plans made to go skiing. But a week and a half before we planned on leaving I came down with a sinus infection.

We planned to leave on a Thursday and by Tuesday I still wasn't well. I told John I'd better not go, but was pleasantly surprised that I felt well enough on Wednesday that when he called I told him that I had changed my mind again and I wanted to go. He laughed and was happy.

It's a 3 1/2 hour trip from Apache Junction to Sunrise Resort close to Show Low Arizona.

I was also pleasantly surprised that it is a very nice resort. I wasn't expecting too much because I have been spoiled by the wonderful resorts in Utah.

We skied the afternoon on Thursday and the Friday morning into the afternoon. It couldn't have been more perfect! The sun was shinning. There was no wind. The snow was perfect. The runs were perfect.

We skied in 45 degree temperatures that are perfect. If it's any warmer the snow becomes slushy, and if it's colder it can be miserable.

I skied about 15 years before coming down with post polio. At that time I couldn't walk, let alone ski. I have only skied once in the last 12 years and that was during the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics.

My cousin and I went to Snow Basin in Ogden where they held some of the down-hill races. I watched, wishing I could be with them while she and her daughter skied. The next day we went to Nordic Valley also in Ogden and this time they went sledding and I went skiing! I stayed on the bunny trail, but at least I skied.

I was certain this trip that I would do fine and hoped I could ski some of the higher runs. I did! I skied 10 to 12 runs on the bunny trail, three or four runs on a blue trail and did one run on a green and black diamond trail.

I wasn't able to carve the turns the way I did when I was younger, but did much better after a ski attendant tightened my boots. I wasn't able to ski my normal level, but it was good.

Hey, I have post polio and I'm 66 years old and probably shouldn't be doing it at all!

Not!!!!!! Bottom line. I had a ball!!!!!!!

The Weather Was Perfect!