Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Relieving Jaw Pain

I have been experiencing pain in my jaw everyday and night from clenching or grinding my teeth at night. I browsed the web for clenching teeth and came upon several things one can do to help this condition.

Several companies sell mouth guards to you, and you can take an impression of your teeth, mail it to them and they make the guard. This saves you money because you eliminate the middleman which is the dentist.

A second hint is to do an exercise by clenching your teeth for a full slow 20 seconds, and then drop the jaw and totally rest your mouth for a slow 20 seconds, then repeat 10 times. I did this and have realized a relief already.

The pain is not totally gone, but it is better. I'm going to continue doing do this for a week to see if this takes care of the problem before I invest in the guard. The $99.00 investment will be worth it if this doesn't help.

That wasn't the problem. Foods are! Wheat and sugar's cause my teeth and jaw to ache! It took me months to figure this out.

A second problem causing the jaw pain is the way I sit at the computer for hours on end. I learn forward, with my elbow on the computer desk, with my chin in my hand. Which puts stress on my jaw.