Thursday, June 04, 2009

Hawaii - Day Seven - Tuesday

It had been a wonderful week, and we finished it at the north shore. We drove to Turtle Bay Resort which is beautiful. John and Karen used to live there. Wow! How would that be?

Ten years ago, Mike and Susan took Andrew who was a year-and-a-half old to Hawaii, and that's where they stayed.

We didn't see any turtles, but the beach is very nice. We waded in the water in our shorts. I should have worn my suit, but didn't. The water was warm and I would have swam if I'd had on a suit.

We then went to the Audubon center and walked a very long way. The grounds with the beautiful trees and all the birds is very lovely. We ate lunch there and a beautiful peacock came right up to us and would have eaten out of our hand if we'd fed it. But we didn't. There are signs warning us not to.

We walked most of the way to the waterfall, which is quite a long way. It's a nice hike and I could have made it. It's not at all steep. Mike's foot was hurting because one shoe was pinching his foot, and we aborted the mission. I realized that it was good because it would have been easy for me to over-do.

Next, we went over to Sunset Beach. I was wading again and whoops! The wave took me into the water. Sunset Beach is known for it's really high waves, but we weren't in high waves. We could see some white water waves a few hundred yards from us, but even those weren't very high. This picture was taken just before the wave sat me in the water.


I might just as well have swam. I was already wet. But I didn't.
In 1976 when Ken and I were at Sunset Beach the waves were huge. They say in the winter months the waves can get as high as 25 feet high. We were there in June and I know the waves weren't that high, but they were way over my head.

We body surfed for hours! It was the most fun! I didn't stop until one wave brought me down with my throat hitting the floor. Then I did a somersaults the wrong way. That was it! I was done for the day.

It totally knocked the wind out of me, and left me with no strength. I sat on the beach and talked to a man who had seen what happened. He told me that one of the military men had just died in about the same place I was, doing exactly the same time that I did. Those waves demand respect. And should be left to the experts.

We left Sunset Beach and went over to Waimea Bay. I was anxious to see all the places I had visited the last two times I was there. And this was one of my favorite beaches. We didn't stay here long because by this time I was really tired. It is a long walk on sand to get to the water, which is a lot of work. Mike and I had already had a big day by now.

We went back to the turtles. They say they come onto the beach in the afternoon. Well, it was afternoon, but they were still in the water.

We went to the little town that had the shaved ice. I think it's Wahiawa, but not sure. Mike and I had shaved ice while at Hale Koa, but this was much better.

This place is famous for the shaved ice. I had the opportunity to compare, and it's true, it's better.



We had a combination of pina' colata, (spelled wrong) and guava. It was very good. We passed on the bakery. I didn't want to get sick again.

Then we headed back to John and Karen's. They had dinner waiting for us. Tenderloin cooked to perfection and vegetables. We worked on genealogy and watched the dancers on TV again. Still routing for Apollo.

We left for the airport at 7:30 to fly out at 10:00. We called John from the plane and learned that Apollo had won. His partner (can't remember her name) has connections to Utah. Lived in Springville, or something like that.

I hoped to sleep on the plane but wasn't very successful. We watched "Something's Gotta Give" I think that's the name of the movie. The new one with Mandy Moore. It was good. I've been wanting to see it. I don't get much out of watching movies on planes though. I'd much rather be in a theater or at home.

We saw "Music and Lyrics" on the way there. I had been wanting to see that one too.
As I said earlier I ate what they gave me on the plane. It's just a lot of junk for anyone. Two Oreo cookies, two cracker with cheese, and raisons which was a good choice for me.

I've paid for that mistake up until now. And this is Saturday.

All In all, the trip was wonderful!